Juniper Networks is a multinational publicly-listed IT company headquartered in California, with offices in nearly 50 countries. It specialises in Internet Protocol (IP) network products and services. Juniper Networks is a leader in high-performance networking, and its products are widely used in large networks around the world.
The company was founded in 1996 by Pradeep Sindhu, and was built around the concept of creating reliable, high-performance routers to support the quickly-emerging Internet. By 2000 Juniper took 30 percent of the core router market.
Juniper Networks' core competencies lie in architecture, silicon design, and its JUNOS network operating system. Its product portfolio spans routing, switching, security, application acceleration, identity policy and control, and management.
Juniper's products include the T-series, M-series, E-series, MX-series, and J-series families of routers; EX-series Ethernet switches; WX-series WAN optimisation devices; and SRC Session and Resource Control appliances.
Juniper's network operating system JUNOS is marketed by Juniper as the industry's only carrier-class, purpose-built "pure IP" modular network operating system, and runs on most Juniper products. JUNOS is a single network operating system spanning routing, switching and security platforms.
While Juniper Networks is primarily focused on organic innovation, it has acquired a few technologies and companies, including:
- November 1999 - Layer Five
- December 2000 - Micromagic
- November 2001 - Pacific Broadband
- May 2002 - Nexsi Systems
- July 2002 - Unisphere Networks, a subsidiary of Siemens
- April 2004 - NetScreen Technologies
- April 2005 - Kagoor
- July 2005 - Peribit Networks
- July 2005 - Redline Networks
- October 2005 - Acorn Packet Solutions
- December 2005 - Funk Software
The principal subsidiaries of Juniper Networks Inc., US include:
- Juniper Networks K.K. (Japan)
- Juniper Networks B.V. (Netherlands)
- Juniper Networks International Limited (Cayman Islands)
- Juniper Networks FSC Inc. (Barbados)
- Juniper Networks U.K. Ltd. (United Kingdom)
- Juniper Networks GmbH (Germany)
- Juniper Networks France Sarl (France)
- Juniper Networks Australia Ltd. (Australia)
- Juniper Networks Hong Kong Ltd. (Hong Kong)
- Juniper Networks South Asia Ltd. (Hong Kong)
- Juniper Networks China Ltd. (Hong Kong)
- Juniper Networks Canada Inc. (Canada)
- Juniper Acquisition Corporation
- Juniper Networks International, Inc.
- Juniper Networks India Pty Ltd (India)
Latest Stories about
- Not very super so far
- Juniper gets DSL, Siemens channel from Unisphere buy
- Siemens denies sale of U.S. optical and access business
- Juniper: Redundant routers here to stay
- Here's a switch
- Merrill settles case over misleading research
- Where is Siemens networking headed?
- Juniper's purchase of Unisphere a 'smart move'
- Juniper to buy Siemens' Unisphere unit
- Largest MPLS demo on tap at Supercomm
- Cisco gains router share as market dips in Q1
- Siemens silences Unisphere
- Juniper unveils Gibson router
- Ericsson plans 20,000 job cuts amid more losses
- Procket provides a peek