Juniper Networks is a multinational publicly-listed IT company headquartered in California, with offices in nearly 50 countries. It specialises in Internet Protocol (IP) network products and services. Juniper Networks is a leader in high-performance networking, and its products are widely used in large networks around the world.
The company was founded in 1996 by Pradeep Sindhu, and was built around the concept of creating reliable, high-performance routers to support the quickly-emerging Internet. By 2000 Juniper took 30 percent of the core router market.
Juniper Networks' core competencies lie in architecture, silicon design, and its JUNOS network operating system. Its product portfolio spans routing, switching, security, application acceleration, identity policy and control, and management.
Juniper's products include the T-series, M-series, E-series, MX-series, and J-series families of routers; EX-series Ethernet switches; WX-series WAN optimisation devices; and SRC Session and Resource Control appliances.
Juniper's network operating system JUNOS is marketed by Juniper as the industry's only carrier-class, purpose-built "pure IP" modular network operating system, and runs on most Juniper products. JUNOS is a single network operating system spanning routing, switching and security platforms.
While Juniper Networks is primarily focused on organic innovation, it has acquired a few technologies and companies, including:
- November 1999 - Layer Five
- December 2000 - Micromagic
- November 2001 - Pacific Broadband
- May 2002 - Nexsi Systems
- July 2002 - Unisphere Networks, a subsidiary of Siemens
- April 2004 - NetScreen Technologies
- April 2005 - Kagoor
- July 2005 - Peribit Networks
- July 2005 - Redline Networks
- October 2005 - Acorn Packet Solutions
- December 2005 - Funk Software
The principal subsidiaries of Juniper Networks Inc., US include:
- Juniper Networks K.K. (Japan)
- Juniper Networks B.V. (Netherlands)
- Juniper Networks International Limited (Cayman Islands)
- Juniper Networks FSC Inc. (Barbados)
- Juniper Networks U.K. Ltd. (United Kingdom)
- Juniper Networks GmbH (Germany)
- Juniper Networks France Sarl (France)
- Juniper Networks Australia Ltd. (Australia)
- Juniper Networks Hong Kong Ltd. (Hong Kong)
- Juniper Networks South Asia Ltd. (Hong Kong)
- Juniper Networks China Ltd. (Hong Kong)
- Juniper Networks Canada Inc. (Canada)
- Juniper Acquisition Corporation
- Juniper Networks International, Inc.
- Juniper Networks India Pty Ltd (India)
Latest Stories about
- Internet founder says his invention is alive and well
- Hewlett urges 'no' vote on merger
- Juniper slashes 4Q revenue forecast
- Cisco broadens IPv6 support with IPv4 links
- Juniper shipping 'production-ready' IPv6
- Juniper reaches out from the core
- Is the fog lifting over the network equipment sector?
- Nortel kills OPTera Packet Core
- Juniper enhances routers with MPLS VPNs
- Juniper gains on Cisco in core routing
- Cisco tops revised estimates, income plunges
- N+I: The network is as crucial as ever
- Optical titans refocus
- Carrier brings 1G bps to NZ businesses
- Report: Industry downturn to extend deep into 2002